Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Guest Blogger: Miki


Hello. I am Miki Willa from Miki’s Fabric Creations. (http://mikisquilts.blogspot.com)

A short time ago, Victoria graciously invited us to quilt along with her on our own 
interpretation of aMatisse painting. I selected The Girl with Green Eyes
and started pulling fabrics.


I decided to start on the bottom half of the quilt because it looked less complicated than the top. 
Iwanted to do this with all solids, so that is how I started. As you can see, I decided
to add some batiklike fabrics as I got into the project. There were parts of the painting
I thought were important that I just couldn’t recreate with solids.


Starting on the top section was very intimidating. To get what I wanted, I knew I would have to use
some curves and set-in seams. There was just no way around it unless I appliquéd the entire head, 
and I didn’t want to do that. So, I pulled more fabrics. Jumped in and did a couple of curves 
and y-seam to get started. I really enjoyed not measuring or using a pattern for this. I love a 
good challenge.


After I put the top and bottom together, I realized it wasn’t working for me. The proportions for the
painting weren’t right, and I had left out important elements. I pulled more fabric and created the
left and right sides, then attached them. I was much happier. The only thing missing was the flower 
on the hat. Part of why I chose this painting was the hat. I knew I could replace the 
old straggly flower with amuch bolder one. I also wanted her to have a better white collar. 
These things, I did appliqué.


I am really pleased with the way she turned out. I suppose she should have green eyes, but I figure 
theyare implied in the title. I was going to make more Matisse blocks, but have decided to 
select paintingsfrom my other favorite masters and make an Art Masters quilt. This is a long
term project, but I am pretty excited about it.

Thank you so much, Victoria, for inviting me to share my Matisse adventure.

Thank YOU Miki!  
I always look forward to seeing what you will attempt.  
You are fearless in your approach, you have a keen eye for color and detail, 
and your very supporting and helpful. 
I admire that so much.
Your block is beautiful!!! Well done!

9 comments:

  1. What a fantastic process and end result. I need to try to be "freer" at times! This is very inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I saw Victoria's Matisse work I also wanted to do it. It just is not the right time now.

    I am so jealous of your beautiful work! Can't wait to see the rest of the paintings you choose.

    glen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous! Love it, especially that flower.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Miki you quilt is fabulous. I adore it. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great piece-you’re fearless and talented at the same time and your work inspires me. Thanks for sharing with us so prolifically.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a wonderful quilt with remarkable piecing. Not only are you talented but also extremely hard working. Thanks for sharing your process and finished pieces, Miki, they always inspire.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think this quilt is wonderful ... and what a keen eye you have ... using those batik-like fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing, Miki! Green eyes are meant to be mysterious so yours are just extra mysterious ;) I love her, her hat, and the flower. Excellent detailed piecing!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for leaving me a comment!
I appreciate your taking the time to say hi!
Have a fabulous day!