Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Guest Blogger: Miki

Hello. I am Miki Willa from Miki’s Fabric Creations. (

A short time ago, Victoria graciously invited us to quilt along with her on our own 
interpretation of aMatisse painting. I selected The Girl with Green Eyes
and started pulling fabrics.

I decided to start on the bottom half of the quilt because it looked less complicated than the top. 
Iwanted to do this with all solids, so that is how I started. As you can see, I decided
to add some batiklike fabrics as I got into the project. There were parts of the painting
I thought were important that I just couldn’t recreate with solids.

Starting on the top section was very intimidating. To get what I wanted, I knew I would have to use
some curves and set-in seams. There was just no way around it unless I appliquéd the entire head, 
and I didn’t want to do that. So, I pulled more fabrics. Jumped in and did a couple of curves 
and y-seam to get started. I really enjoyed not measuring or using a pattern for this. I love a 
good challenge.

After I put the top and bottom together, I realized it wasn’t working for me. The proportions for the
painting weren’t right, and I had left out important elements. I pulled more fabric and created the
left and right sides, then attached them. I was much happier. The only thing missing was the flower 
on the hat. Part of why I chose this painting was the hat. I knew I could replace the 
old straggly flower with amuch bolder one. I also wanted her to have a better white collar. 
These things, I did appliqué.

I am really pleased with the way she turned out. I suppose she should have green eyes, but I figure 
theyare implied in the title. I was going to make more Matisse blocks, but have decided to 
select paintingsfrom my other favorite masters and make an Art Masters quilt. This is a long
term project, but I am pretty excited about it.

Thank you so much, Victoria, for inviting me to share my Matisse adventure.

Thank YOU Miki!  
I always look forward to seeing what you will attempt.  
You are fearless in your approach, you have a keen eye for color and detail, 
and your very supporting and helpful. 
I admire that so much.
Your block is beautiful!!! Well done!


  1. What a fantastic process and end result. I need to try to be "freer" at times! This is very inspirational.

  2. When I saw Victoria's Matisse work I also wanted to do it. It just is not the right time now.

    I am so jealous of your beautiful work! Can't wait to see the rest of the paintings you choose.


  3. Fabulous! Love it, especially that flower.

  4. Miki you quilt is fabulous. I adore it. Hugs

  5. What a great piece-you’re fearless and talented at the same time and your work inspires me. Thanks for sharing with us so prolifically.

  6. This is a wonderful quilt with remarkable piecing. Not only are you talented but also extremely hard working. Thanks for sharing your process and finished pieces, Miki, they always inspire.

  7. I think this quilt is wonderful ... and what a keen eye you have ... using those batik-like fabrics.

  8. Amazing, Miki! Green eyes are meant to be mysterious so yours are just extra mysterious ;) I love her, her hat, and the flower. Excellent detailed piecing!


Hi! Thanks for leaving me a comment!
I appreciate your taking the time to say hi!
Have a fabulous day!