I decided to do my solid segments challenge using Matisse's Red Room, This painting has always inspired me. I love the colors the most. This painting is loose and yet defined at the same time. I had the exceptional experience of seeing this painting in person three years ago at The Hermitage in Russia. At the time I didn't know that this painting hung there. I headed to the Impressionists galleries because they are my faves and imagine my surprise when I turned the corner and found one of my favorite paintings staring back at me!
So now the challenge. Victoria sent out the word and I thought, "Hey that could be fun!" So in I jumped. I must say that I was intimidated. I even went back and looked at other paintings after I realized this challenge might be over my head. In the end I kept coming back to the Red Room, and I saw that I needed to give it a shot.
I cut a piece of paper 15 x 15 to loosely sketch out where I wanted things to go and to help me with scale in keeping the finished piece the right size.
I started in the upper left hand corner because I thought that looked a little easier and if I could just get a corner done, it would keep me on track. As in any big undertaking, breaking it up into smaller sections helps you see it through to the end. Once I got rolling, I couldn't stop!
I did have to re-do a couple of parts when I realized they were either too big or too small for the over all design. I'm not big on measuring, so for me it's trial and error most of the time.
I love the way the top came out. It is a tad bigger than the 15x15, but I'm sure my swap partner Shelly won't be upset! Now to the quilting. I did leave this on my sewing table for four or five days. I was again intimidated and didn't want to ruin it! I kept circling it like a cat hoping for some inspiration.
After much contemplation I thought the best way go was to just start. I knew I wanted lots of free-motion quilting for all the blue detail in the painting. I also did some black lines in the trees and the chair. I didn't want to over load the piece, so I kept it simple.
For the back I used some Matisse fabric that I had in my stash. If you look closely you can see one of the woman that Victoria did in a solid of hers. Too fun!
I really enjoyed this whole process. It made me stretch my mind and flex my muscles. I had to think outside the normal piecing box and figure out how to make it work. Thank you so much to Victoria for inspiring us to do so. I am also very grateful to be a guest blogger on her blog too. I have to pinch myself!
**Thank you Lisa for playing along! I am just giddy that you actually had MATISSE FABRIC in your stash!
Gotta go find me some of that! I loved seeing how you approached making the top. You worked it out, you tried something new, and it's really adorable! Well done!!!!