Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Back in NYC!

I'm home from California!  YAY!  CraftNapa was so much fun but chilly!
Orange County was WARM! so I feel like I got my California fix! ;-)  But I am SO Happy to be home! I do love love love, my NYC!
 I wanted to share pics from my classes last week.  I'm so pleased with all my students work! We really did have a productive, fun time. It was a really nice place to teach, and spend time with all the other teachers and students!

PATTERN PLAY CLASS!
 The quilt of mine on my bed, is my pattern play quilt. I always travel with a quilt for my hotel room bed... feels so much nicer when I am away from home!  Here are a  few examples from class.


Focusing on Improv, Looking, and just jumping right in, here is some of the work done in class.  It's always fun to set some basic principles, like looking, and basic techniques that can lead you to a place of fun in your quilt making.  I love on Larissa's quilt the angular likes of a landscape are naturally appearing... Those shots of hot pink are yummy!


Rene has a really fun approach to her play... She took my five day Double wedding Ring class at Asilomar/Empty Spools last year, and I knew she'd have a lot fo fun cutting, playing with different fabrics,pattern and texture.


Nelson loves jumping in to cut stuff up. No fear! LOVE IT!  Sometimes the biggest challenge can be to take everything of your wall, and try a new layout. No problems here!  He added  black for contrast and the horizontal line, and he was off and running!  Inspiring!

We go over a couple free form techniques, and  This was a really fun one to watch start out all angular, then as we incorporated curves, the quilt started to sing. SO much fun!  I get so inspired watching everyone find their path... Everyone in the class did amazing work!  More photos from the classes to come, this week.

So later, while I was in Orange County, We went out and did a bit of shopping. (of course)  Shown above, hanging in my kitchen is my 21 year old Donkey tail succulent! I got it just after I moved to NYC, and it has survived three moves! It has lost a few of it's nodules after a while of being bumped or whatever, but it continues to grow! I'm going to need a new place for it soon, as it's getting to be REALLY long!
Well, I came across another one (easy to do in Cali) and wondered if I could successfully package it and get it back to NYC, as I can find other kinds of succulents in NY, but have not found another one the same locally....
I am happy to say it survived the trip in a plastic spinach container, nestled in paper, along with a string of pearls succulent, as well...  My daughter loves then as much as I do, so we've been adding to our little collection of them. Let's see if I can grow these for another 21 years!

1 comment:

  1. I love succulents, too. I had a large dish garden that I kept in my office in San Bernardino when I lived and worked there years ago. It was the perfect office thing because no one had to water it while I traveled for work. I probably would have given your donkey tails a haircut long ago. You can propagate more plants from the cuttings!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for leaving me a comment!
I appreciate your taking the time to say hi!
Have a fabulous day!