Sunday, September 11, 2011

People Helping people: Something BASIC SUNDAY


People helping people....  That is a good name for today's post. 
Scott at Bluenickle has a tutorial up that he designed for gathering blocks for BASICS quits.

Thank you to Kate the quilting professor for providing a tutorial 
for this great BASICS QUILT IDEA.
 
Putting together ONE quilt, Quickly and doing a world of good....
People helping each other.

PLEASE VISIT THE  BASICS SITE FOR ALL THE INFO YOU NEED,
including where to send, and what kinds.... thank you!


A “BASIC” BABY QUILT
by

What could be more “basic” than a 9-patch quilt? 
Made in a few primary colors, and using an energetic
strip for sashing, this makes a happy, easy baby quilt measuring 45 by 45. 

It’s easy and quick!!

Step One: Cut 6 ½” squares: 20 in Color A, and 16 in Color B. Assemble in strips as follows:

Top row: A B A

Second row: B A B

Third row: A B A

Sew the three rows together to make one 9-patch. Make four 9 patch units.

Sashing: Join two 9-patch units with a bright stripe that measures 2 ½” x 18½”. Do this twice.

Now join those two units with a sashing strip 2½” by 38”.

Border: Add top and bottom borders that measure 4” by 38”.

Then add side borders measuring 4” by 45”.

Add batting, backing, binding… and then SNUGGLE it – just to get it broken in!!




~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Remembering friends lost today, 10 years ago.


10 comments:

  1. Great day for doing something fabulous for a friend... and definitely remembering!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to get going, I have so many things I want to make and my brain is still in slow motion. I love that memorial quilt, I have not seen that before, what a beautiful tribute.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a newbie in the quilting world, and I'd like to make a quilt for the group. I can piece it, but have never actually done the quilting process. Are you all taking just tops?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ruth,
    Unfortunately we can not finish your quilt tops, BASICS can only accept finished quilts. Quilts are sent direct to BASICS, where they can be distributed.

    Please visit the BASICS site, all the info you need is provided there, including where to send,what kinds etc...

    www.bumblebeansbasics.com

    I thank you for thinking about BASICS and appreciate all your efforts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sweetie - how fun it is to see my top and instructions on your web page !!! Please check the post above - there's a formatting problem in my directions!! (the ABA stuff goes up in the 9 patch instructions. thanks, Kate

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanx V! I love you posting the 911 quilt. NEVER FORGET!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Today the whole world remembers...
    ciao ciao Linda

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for posting this quilt, people cannot imagine what it's like until they see it in person. Overwhelming.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would love to see this quilt in person. Think I'll google and see if I can find more info on it.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for leaving me a comment!
I appreciate your taking the time to say hi!
Have a fabulous day!