Wednesday, September 29, 2010

under covers



I'm still under cover!  I worked 5 hours on the Star Splitter yesterday...
Just stitching in the ditch around all the half square triangles and stars, 
and big blocks... 
I'd say I have another 3 hours to go, before I can actually start the feathers...

Not feeling so confident again about feathers...  I decided I can now draw them well, but I tried doing it free motion yesterday on a small piece, and with tension problems, its' rather a mess... I put the binding on it anyway and just sort of thought I'd chalk it up to practice, but now after thinking about i over night, I will rip it out...  I like the little piece to much, to leave  it looking crappy.

I did have an insanely productive day yesterday.  Tuesdays are my long day in the studio. I can get a full 8 hours in of work...  So, besides the star splitter, and feathers on the little piece... I cut bindings for 4 quilts, and got them sewn on, (just the machined part)  and they are ready for me to finish hand sewing..

I have a stack of quilted quilts here that only need binding. so this quilt, 
The Scrappy Happy from LAST summer 
and the Circles and Stripes quilt are about to be finished...
2 Basics quilts got finished, 
and the binding on that little feather mess above...
My pillowcases were falling apart, so I finally dug out fabric I bought in Dallas (in march!!)
just for that purpose...  Now I have HOLE FREE pillowcases!  yippee!

I have to say, I've been working pretty hard these days, and COOKING, 
my other love has gone to the back burner...
After a great day of sewing yesterday, I felt I needed a good yummy meal

So I made a chicken pot pie because I was SOOOO hungry, 
as I just didn't stop yesterday...
With gravy!  Yes, it topped off the day...

And at 9:45 last night, I just had to peek at these  blocks...
Hoping one day I will get  some extra time to finish the last 5 blocks...
Sigh.  But only to dream about them today.

Alright. I'm off for that next three hours of stitch in the ditch sewing...
Wish me luck!

11 comments:

  1. I remember reading a post of Dianne Gaudynski's blog about feathers. It had some great tips. But now I can't find it for you. Maybe from last year?

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh I love those blocks too!
    yesterday I played with the 15 min of fun idea
    today I will try again...
    good luck with the quilting and remember to give that neck a break!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Victoria, what are you on...I want some too! You are just so productive - and it's all beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK, I'm exhausted just reading about all you did yesterday! Can I have what you're having ;-) Everything looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! You did have a productive day yesterday...your Star Splitter quilt will be done before you know it. I love the fabric on the pillowcases...looks like "Prairie Paisley" from Moda. I have quite a bucket of that stuff, just waiting on inspiration! And I recognize your blocks from the cover of a magazine, I think it was Quiltmaker and the quilt had a lot of blue in it? I saved that picture from the magazine because I want to make it some day! It will be fun watching the progress of yours...

    Yesterday I commented that I was painting ("blah"), and you responded with a reminder of 15 minutes of sewing. Genius!! I did it and got some pieces prepped for hand applique. I am painting yet again today, but will quit in time to make a little time for sewing before the family gets home.

    Good luck with your projects!

    In stitches,
    Teresa :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. V ... I am overwhelmed by your productivity & your "magic touch" ... lovely stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok, now I'm tired just having read about it all! LOL You need to slow down with the feathers, especially going round the corners, I've just had a similar problem with berries! I had better success with slower and steady. Keep going, it will work out :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your productivity is so inspiring! And chicken pot pie- YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Victoria - your star splitter quilt is just gorgeous, love it. Can't wait to see the photos when you're done. It's always a pleasure to see what projects you're working on.

    ReplyDelete
  10. k, I'm sitting here drooling over all your quilts (and food). I LOVE the back of your Star Splitter! Both sides are breathtaking.

    Slow and steady with the quilting - you'll get there. I'm currently echo quilting an applique quilt and I'm like you...wishing I'd get through it faster. Always seems to take 2 or 3 times longer than I expect. But I'm trying to remember to enjoy the process.

    ReplyDelete
  11. P.S. Just wondered...why would you need pillowcases? Surely you never sleep!!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for leaving me a comment!
I appreciate your taking the time to say hi!
Have a fabulous day!