Sunday, December 14, 2008

GIFT 3 - 3 spices




Gift three.

So, these are all things I am giving as gifts this year. Since this was a HOMEMADE XMAS, I had to come up wiht more things besides the HOT CHOCOLATE that I do every year. Its so yummy.

So I thought I 'd give my recipes I found for yummy Spices mixes.
I was surprised this past summer that one of my favorite Spice mixes, that I used regularly had a listed ingredient of MSG... I guess I never bothered to read the l label. I assumed if it said basil it had basil in it. or whatever the spice was... And since I am a nut about not eating prepackaged foods, I went finding my own spice mixtures that were pure and hopefully chemical free...

So here are the three I gave as gifts this year...

This is the recipe for Emeril Lagasse's

"Southwest Spice" seasoning

as found on the Food Network recipe pages.

2 Tbs. chili powder 1 Tbs. dried oregano
2 Tbs. paprika 2 tsp. ground cumin
1 Tbs. ground coriander 1 tsp. black pepper
1 Tbs. garlic powder 1 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 Tbs. salt 1 tsp. crushed red pepper

Combine all ingredients thoroughly and store in an airtight jar or container

Yields about 1/2 cup.


*********************************************************

The Ultimate Taco Seasoning
6 tablespoons minced onion
3 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons cumin
1 tablespoon garlic salt
1/2 tablespoon oregano
1/2 tablespoon cornstarch

Using a mini food processor (a blender would probably work, too), chop the minced onions until smaller. Put the rest of the ingredients in with the minced onions and process until you have a powder with mini pieces of onion.

Label and use within 6 months.

Note: 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon is equal to one store bought package of taco seasoning mix.

To Use: Combine 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon mix with 1 pound cooked meat. Add 1/2 cup water; stir. Cook on low, covered, for about 10 minutes.

Yield: 3 batches

NOTES: To make this REALLY REALLY spicy, add 1/8 teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes to the blender. (Try the recipe as is first, before adding the red pepper flakes.)


************************************************

Cinnamon Sugar

1/4 cup granulated sugar
4 tsp cinnamon


Easy I know. But we love this on our popcorn, but add some salt too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Thanks for leaving me a comment!
I appreciate your taking the time to say hi!
Have a fabulous day!