Saturday, September 20, 2008

Trip around the world


I've been playing with these squares for a while. I bought them sort of impulsively one day a the city quilter at checkout.

The colors caught my eye, the Reds, blues and Golden Browns...


It's a little traditional for my taste, but after looking through a few of my books I came across my Amish Quilts book, and found this quilt. Not so traditional after all! I love these quilts.

When I was in my teens, I remember ordering a poster that shown quilts of Lancaster county. I was so taken by the Amish quilts. I recall asking my mother for a trip around the world quilt, and she did get me one, I'm not sure from who, or who made it, but it was pinks and purples, and I think made out of polyester scraps.
I need to ask her about that quilt... I don't have it... mom? Is it still there at the farm? Anyway. I know she will like seeing me make a quilt like this one...

So far, I am quite happy with it. It feels sort of old already. I need to find the right fabrics to complete it, so it may sit for a while, as I stare at it trying to figure out what it needs...

3 comments:

  1. What a great Trip Around the World! I love the colors of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice assortment, lucky of you to be able to go to City Quilter & Purl Soho. My MIL is in New Rochelle - I have only bee to Purl Soho - once...

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooo.. this is my first visit here. Thanks for stopping by so I could find you.
    This trip around the world is right up my alley. I have made several, and have one that was made out of my mother's old polyester pantsuits. It is very dear to me. Very Amish looking too.
    I will be back. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for leaving me a comment!
I appreciate your taking the time to say hi!
Have a fabulous day!