Monday, August 31, 2015

Medallion, play. (squirrel!)



It's time for us to head back to NYC. Summer is coming to its fast end.  The last few weeks spent at my house has been just the relaxed nourishment I needed... We canned tomatoes, canned salsa, made beef and chicken jerky, and dried fruit... We cooked, swam, and just generally laid about. (For as long as I can manage) miss itchy fingers here... 

School starts for us, after Labor Day. So I spent the day cleaning my home studio, and packing up stuff to get back to work and family life at the loft and studio in NYC. 

One suitcase packed and loads of glorious scraps left laying around... 

Whatever to do with them? 

Throw them? 

No. 

Take a few minutes to play? 

Yes. 

So I cut 1.5" squares of scrap repro fabrics, and a bright yummy cheddar gold. 


I set it up on my design wall, to decide what might happen next. 

Not inspired I turned it on point. 


Mmmmm,  I like that!  

Let's make the block bigger....


Yes, I like that... 


And again, in point is even better... 


I had all these slivers of soft yellow cut and were left over from another project...
Maybe?


Not bad... Let's see if I can make it work...


The slivers were a 1/2" to short, so I started adding in a soft pink strip...

For now, it will stay hanging on my wall until we come back to the house. It's nice to have a project just waiting for me to play with. 

No rush.

And who knows... The whole thing may change all together... 

That's the FUN part. 

:-) 



 

14 comments:

  1. How lovely to know how to preserve your own foods for the middle of winter .. Great fabrics to play with too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love all that cheddar--really neat hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love all that cheddar--really neat hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute block, I am working hard to be better at playing with scraps! and the tomatoes luck so yummy, I am sure they taste even better in January!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Smashing block - love your approach. What a feast of goodies on your table - making me quite hungry! Pleased you enjoyed your summer break.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the medallion! It will be interesting to see where you take it from here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are like the ant in the story, The Ant and the Grasshopper. You will reap your rewards all winter long!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a great post to show your process. Very inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wish I had learned to can from my Mom. I remember her canning vegetables and canning a concoction that turned into the most delicious home made grape juice. Your cheddar block is quite interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, lots of canning! do you bring all that back to the city with you? We're in full canning mode here too -- canned tomatoes, salsa, some grape juice, and we're going to try grape jelly today. I'm thinking of canning homemade tomato soup this year since we have a huge crop of tomatoes this year from our tiny city garden.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely! Glad you're enjoying summer, love the pictures. Thanks for lots of inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gosh you've been busy! Lovely to see what you did with those scraps - such an inspiration. Enjoy the fruits of your labours.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Victoria,

    Loved the evolution of the medallion block , also great to see yellow being used . Those jars look delicious. You have had a busy and productive summer.
    Cheers, Shelley

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for leaving me a comment!
I appreciate your taking the time to say hi!
Have a fabulous day!