Friday, October 25, 2013

Bloggers Quilt Festival

Double Edged Love by Victoria Findlay Wolfe, Quilted by Lisa Sipes 

Bloggers Quilt Festival is here again! Thanks Amy for hosting!


It's no doubt for me, this quilt, "Double Edged Love," has been my turning point in quilt making.
You know after you been working on quilts for along time,and then all of a sudden you feel like your skills just went up a notch? Creatively, and in skill, this quilt took my process to a whole new level. For me, this quilt not only brought together my skills, but it brought me around to a place of self acceptance and a blend of my art background, and my quilt background.  It blended where I am from, and where I am now, and also, keeps me connected to my roots and grants a deep respect for traditional quilters, and most of all, family, and my grandmother. 
Major respect  and gratitude to my grandmother who inspires my work. Whose quilts I slept under growing up, and embedded in me a style that I can claim for myself, and also a family tradition! I work very similar to my grandmother, and had I not slept under her quilts, I might not be doing what I do today...
Major thanks to Grandma Elda Wolfe...


Also, this quilt has given me new eyes on quilting. The fantastic work of Lisa Sipes, who quilted "Double Edged Love" has opened my eyes to thinking more and more about how to quilt my quilts. It's been an amazing learning year all around...

Winning QuiltCon with this quilt in the Modern traditional category, was a total shock to me. I am grateful and honored.  I'm excited to share it with viewers this year at Houston International Quilt Festival this year. Another personal goal achieved! I'm thrilled to have three quilts in Houston this year.

I can't wait  to show you in June, what else has come from this exciting turn in my work...

Full Circle: 12 Sketches from Life.
12 Double Wedding Ring Quilts By Victoria Findlay Wolfe
June  October 2014 
The Wisconsin Museum of Quilts & Fiber Arts 


The beauty in this quilt lies in my heart...I also understand that this quilt is not for everyone. I am ok with that 100%. What it has done for me as a person, can't be topped or taken away by negative comments. In fact, one person commented at one time, that the "Good & Plenty" color scheme did nothing for her... I wish I had thought of that myself! ...as the "Good & Plenty" aspect, (think sweet/bitter, pretty and harsh tasting), fit so well with the concept of ideas that have made this quilt...That  I can only think of it now as, "The Good & Plenty" quilt... ;-)  It has been good, and given me plenty.

34 comments:

  1. Love what you wrote about your quilt and what it has brought to you. It's the most stunning 'modern' quilt I've ever seen! Kudo's to you for honing your craft in such a brilliant way.:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You said it all Victoria. Very sweet. I have seen this quilt before and admired it and thought how clever you are to created one of a kind quilt. Your grandma would have been a lady who think outside of square herself. Congratulations for being accepted into Houston International Quilts Fest. Enjoy your time there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the quilt since I first saw it. very unique

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always find this one amazing. I love the way the white, pink and black look like a frame. The other fabrics seem to be recessed behind it like I am looking through windows. If I were naming it I would probably have called it "through the rabbit holes - to the past"

    ReplyDelete
  5. yes I think you have taken modern quilting to a whole new level here, just stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like that you can put words to your creative process, it is hard to describe sometimes. There will always be haters, and not everyone loves every style...we need to enjoy the process and each other's creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just stunning, and stunningly original.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like that you can put words to your creative process, it is hard to describe sometimes. There will always be haters, and not everyone loves every style...we need to enjoy the process and each other's creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So happy our paths crossed and I've watched you grow as a quilt artist. Have a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How generous of you to turn that one negative comment into an even more positive thought. Now that is true genius!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Victoria, that quilt is just fantabulous! My goal is to see it in person one day. Love your quilt vision and love your graciousness.

    Have a great time in Houston.

    ReplyDelete
  12. congratulations on this quilt's big win and your upcoming show. I hope I can see it in person -- it seems to me that this is a quilt that needs to be seen in real life to get the sense of all the quilting. This quilt has a prairie sense to it -- the big picture in the piecing and the dwr, and the tiny details in the quilting motifs.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is so nice to be on a personal journey developing and growing and to see another's journey. Your quilts always inspire me and validate my own journey. We never know where our creativity will take us, so while we are creating and feeling that vibe, we must not be afraid - of the outcome or what other people think. I like the good and plenty analogy. I know there's a story behind the quilt - more than we've heard.

    ReplyDelete
  14. When I first saw it I went "What" but the more I looked the more I fell in love with it. It's hard to go against what everyone expects but this quilt hit me in such a good way. Here's hoping I can let myself go where it wants and not what I think it should be.

    ReplyDelete
  15. i am so inspired by your work. thanks for being out there!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have loved this quilt from the first time I saw it! I've never made a DWR. But now just might have too! Looking forward to see your collection!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations and it is beautiful. So sad the people cannot admire art for it's technique, ability, creativity, etc. without being critical if it doesn't fit their tastes. My daughter is an artist with paper and colored pencils, or canvas and paint, everything she does is not to my tastes but I admire and RESPECT (let me say that again... RESPECT) her talent! Congratulations again, keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  18. A stunning quilt to be inpired of. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is such a lovely quilt. I hope I can make it to see the collection of 12 in June.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is such an outstanding quilt in so many ways. It is wonderful to read what it means to you and your journey as an artist.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This has been a favourite since seeing Quilt Con photos of it! Marvelous work!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Absolutely one of a kind. Have loved your style ever since I found your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This continues to hold a top spot on my favorite quilts list. Your level of creativity is so stunning and inspirational, it pushes me to be a more personal and unique quilter/designer.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love this quilt and was lucky enough to see it at QuiltCon.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I so loved this quilt when I saw it at QuiltCon. It is stunning and inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I have an antique DWR quilt that my grandma made and I do love it but...I've never been 'wild' about DWR and never thought I'd be interested in making the pattern. That is, until I saw your quilt. I just am totally 'wild' about what you did to re-create the pattern. Thank you. I've already purchased tickets to your Trunk Show at Cedarburg. My sister lives up there close and I'm treating her to your show. Can't wait!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Good and Plenty! I love it! Amazing quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  28. This quilt is pushing me out of my comfort zone in a good way. Everytime I see it I find more to draw me in. And you are so generous in sharing your creative journey as inspiration for the rest of us.

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is so different and stunning - fantastic!!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Couldn't be more amazing! I love this quilt and only wish that I could have made it first (if I had the skill)! Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I'm a huge fan. This is so awe-inspiring. I am hoping to get going on my DWR challenge soon... this quilt makes me want to try new things!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Truly, a beautiful piece! It was so exciting to see it in person in Houston! Congratulations! :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for leaving me a comment!
I appreciate your taking the time to say hi!
Have a fabulous day!